During construction, park at the Pavilion Parking Structure for easier access. The structure is open to UC Davis permit, visitor and metered parking.
Visit the Hours, Location and Contact page for operation hours and closures.
UPDATE March 11, 2019:
The nearly two-year project to expand the Activities and Recreation Center is nearing completion, and the facility will soon reopen with an expanded strength training area, a plethora of new equipment and more natural light — but first it will close for two days so crews can take down construction walls and move equipment.
The ARC will be closed March 25 and 26. When it reopens March 27, the temporary entrances will be gone and patrons will enter through the main doors on the east side of the building.
The Basketball Courts will be temporarily closed March 27-April 30 for resurfacing.
Some Fun Facts regarding the Expansion:
- Cardio equipment: Totaling 219 cardio machines, 80 additional brand-new cardio machines, and 75 machines were upgraded last year
- Strength equipment: Totaling 199 strength machines, 164 additional brand-new strength machines, increased from 10 racks to 20 racks, in addition to 15 insert platforms and 6 free standing platforms
- Functional equipment: Brand-new medicine balls, foam rollers, atlas stones, kettle bells, stability balls, sand bags, tires, sleds, Olympics bars, curl bars, additional dumbbells, weight plates, bumper plates, change plates, technique plates, and more
To meet the growing needs of students, the campus is expanding the Activities and Recreation Center (ARC) by 16,300 square feet in the existing central courtyard area.
The expansion will optimize:
- Space for strength and cardio equipment
- Functional uses of the building
- Energy efficiency of the building
Student fees will not increase to fund the expansion. The project is funded from the FACE/LLEAP initiative that was passed in 1999 to build the ARC. The referendum was designed to allow for the building to be operated, maintained and renovated as it aged. Therefore, the project is being built without any increase in student fees.
Temporary Access Points
The ARC will remain open during construction. Entrances to the ARC will be rerouted based on what you need to access.
Main Entrance (Access from La Rue)
- Basketball and volleyball courts
- Cardio/strength machines
- Climbing wall
- Equipment check out
- Locker rooms
- Member Services
- Multi-Activity Court (MAC)
- Racquetball, squash and wallyball courts
- Towel check out
Pavilion Entrance (Access the ramp to the northeast entry)
- Cycle Studio
- Dance Studio
- Functional training
- Group exercise studios
- Martial Arts Studio
- Pavilion Fitness Studio
Business Entrance (Access between the ARC Lobby and CAMB entries)
- ARC staff offices
- Campus Recreation program offices
- Fitness and Wellness
- Informal Recreation
- Intramural Sports
- Sport Clubs
- Business Center
- Meeting rooms
- Wellness to Go vending machine
- Study space
Impact to Services
MAC (ARC 138) Classes
Classes will continue to be held at the Multi-Activity Court (MAC). The entrance will not change during construction. You can continue to enter from ARC 138, located at the south side of the building.
This section will be updated as the construction schedule develops.
If you have questions regarding construction, please visit Member Services by accessing the Pavilion entrance.
The Pro Shop will remain closed until construction is completed. Intramural Sports clothing will be relocated to the Downtown Store. Visit UC Davis Stores for hours and more store locations.
Some study spaces will still be available during construction, but will likely be noisy. The renovated Memorial Union offers additional study space.
Why Expand the ARC?
Student enrollment has increased by about 6,000 students since the facility opened in 2004. Currently, the ARC’s weight room and cardio equipment aren’t meeting the demands of students. The growing student population will add additional strain on the existing facility.
Expanding the ARC facility will include improvements such as:
- Enhanced Wi-Fi
- More strength equipment (racks, benches and Olympic weightlifting platforms)
- Upgraded locker rooms
- New day lockers throughout first and second levels
- Outdoor exercise space
- Expanded cycling studio
- Expanded cardio loft on the second floor
The expansion will result in shorter wait times, allowing ARC members to complete their workouts and return to class, studying or work.