Get All You Can from Fitness and Wellness with CRU Membership
CRU (Campus Recreation and Unions) Membership, formerly known as ARC Membership, incorporates the amenities and services of the ARC and other CRU programming. Benefits include significant discounts at the Craft Center, Equestrian Center, Outdoor Adventures and Youth Programs. They also include low-cost access to Fitness and Wellness programs such as Group Exercise, Instructional Series and Personal Training. In addition, CRU Members enjoy free access to Intramural (IM) Sports, the Rec Pool and Hickey Pool. To explore your own CRU lifestyle, visit cru.ucdavis.edu/crumembership.
The Personal Training Course is designed to provide theoretical knowledge and practical skills in preparation for the ACE national certification exam in personal training. Topics include guidelines for instructing safe, effective and purposeful exercise, essentials of the client-trainer relationship, conducting health and fitness assessments, and designing and implementing appropriate exercise programming. The course materials are designed to follow a nine-week schedule consisting of 120-minute classes two times per week and a 60-minute class one time per week.
Spring 2016 (Information on applying will be released winter 2016)
Course Dates: TBD
Student Rate $375 + testing cost
University Affiliate: $400 + testing cost (ARC access required via CRU Membership or Day Pass on lab days only)
General Public: $450 + testing cost (ARC access required via CRU Membership or Day Pass on lab days only)
Location: ARC (Pavilion Fitness Studio and ARC Meeting Rooms)
Course Materials Included:
- ACE’s Essentials of Exercise Science for Fitness Professionals
- ACE Personal Trainer Manual (5th Edition)
- ACE Personal Trainer Master the Manual Workbook
- Sample Test Package
Upon successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Understand the application of principles of exercise science, human anatomy and bio–mechanics as well as movement design and exercise instruction.
- Understand principles and methods of training for cardio–respiratory fitness, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility.
- Demonstrate the ability to individualize exercise instruction for apparently healthy adults using an exercise progression model.
- Demonstrate the proper usage of various commercial fitness machines and equipment utilizing appropriate exercise guidelines and spotting techniques.
- Exhibit the communication skills needed in personal fitness instruction.
- Download and complete the Personal Trainer ACE Fitness Leadership Course Application and read all information in its entirety.
- Be sure to select an interview time that works well with your schedule, as makeup interviews are not an option.
- All applications can be submitted via email to Reed Phinisey at firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off in the Fitness and Wellness Center with attention to Reed Phinisey.
- Interviews will be conducted at the ARC.
- If accepted, registration fees must be paid in the Business Center of the ARC prior to the start of the class.
Important Dates and Deadlines:
Application Deadline: TBD
Interviews: TBD (Details included on the application.)
Notification of Acceptance: TBD
Deadline to Pay Course Fee: TBD